7kplay US says not involved in killing of Russian general behind ‘atrocities’

EDITORS NOTE: Graphic content / Bodies of the commander of Russian armed forces’ chemical, biological and radiation defence troops, Igor Kirillov, (top) and his assistant are seen at the blast scene outside a residential building on Ryazansky Avenue in Moscow on December 17, 2024. Agence France-Presse

twin spin slot

WASHINGTON — The United States said Tuesday it was not involved in the killing of a senior Russian army officer in an operation claimed by Ukraine, but denounced his “atrocities.”

“I can tell you that the United States was not aware of it in advance and was not involved,” State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said of the killing of Igor Kirillov, the head of the Russian army’s chemical weapons division.

Article continues after this advertisement

But Miller pointed to earlier US assessments that Kirillov — the senior-most Russian military figure assassinated since Moscow invaded Ukraine — had ordered the use of riot control agents on the battlefield in violation of the Chemical Weapons Convention.

FEATURED STORIES GLOBALNATION Thieves on a plane: Commercial airlines become new theft hotspot GLOBALNATION Mary Jane Veloso returns home after 14 years GLOBALNATION Nasa again delays return of astronauts stranded on space station

READ: Senior Russian military official killed in scooter bomb blast

“He was a general who was involved in a number of atrocities. He was involved in the use of chemical weapons against (the) Ukrainian military,” Miller said.

While the Marcos administration has been exerting efforts to attract more green power developments to the market, the sector may be dealing with some hitches as the projects are now “being processed for termination” due to the companies’ failure to meet committed timelines, the agency noted Sunday.

Article continues after this advertisement

Russian foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova accused Ukraine’s Western allies of being “accomplices” to the brazen assassination in Moscow.

Article continues after this advertisement

READ: Ukraine fires US-made longer-range missiles into Russia

A US official, speaking earlier on condition of anonymity, said that the United States “was not aware of the operation in advance and we do not support or enable these kinds of activities.”

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again. Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

SIGN ME UP

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.7kplay

READ NEXT Canada’s Trudeau battles to hold on after deputy PM resigns US CEO slaying suspect charged with murder as ‘act of te... EDITORS' PICK LECPA 2024: Jianne Ilysse Yu, her journey to being No. 1 achiever Querubin weakens into LPA, heads towards Mindanao, Palawan Thieves on a plane: Commercial airlines become new theft hotspot Lawyer shares heartwarming photos with Veloso’s youngest over the years MMDA issues coding suspension schedule for the holidays Low risk of massive brownouts seen in 2025 MOST READ LIVE UPDATES: Tropical Depression Querubin Atong Ang confirms relationship with Sunshine Cruz in report Quad comm seeks crimes against humanity raps vs Duterte, Bato, Bong Go CSA tells Yasmien Kurdi to 'cooperate' amid 'bullying' involving daughter Follow @FMangosingINQ on Twitter --> View comments